Utilities Chief Plant Operator - Wastewater
Company: Charlotte County, FL
Location: Port Charlotte
Posted on: June 17, 2022
General Summary & Essential Responsibilities
Performs highly responsible technical and supervisory work
planning, organizing, and directing the daily operations of a
wastewater treatment facility. Supervises and trains plant
operators, and unskilled and semi-skilled workers engaged in the
efficient operation and minor maintenance of plant equipment. Work
requires the exercise of considerable technical knowledge and the
use of independent judgment in the safe and efficient management
and operation of treatment plants and disposal systems. Work also
requires the exercise of considerable independent discretion in
plant operation procedures within established technical standards
and departmental rules and regulations.
* Supervises and manages the operation of treatment facilities,
injection wells, percolation evaporation ponds, spray irrigation,
reclaimed water operations, bio-solids processing and disposal
* Supervises and trains operators in the inspection, adjustment,
minor repair, and cleaning of treatment plant equipment such as
chlorinators, blowers, sludge collectors, sludge handling
equipment, chemical feeders, pumps, valves, screens, and related
* Organizes, prioritizes and assigns work: maintains technical and
industry standards; coordinates activities and allocates personnel;
monitors status of work in progress; inspects completed work; and
provides direction, training and technical expertise to assigned
* Monitors the status of plant operations and distribution systems:
detects abnormalities in flows, pressures, chemical feeds, levels
and water quality; adjusts feed, flow levels and chemicals as
* Ensures all work activities and plant operations are in
compliance with all applicable local, state and federal policies,
procedures, safety rules, laws, regulations, and water quality
* Participates in the planning of plant systems improvements and
expansions: evaluates current and future needs; prioritizes
improvements and expansions; and makes recommendations.
* Maintains and repairs plant equipment and systems: supervises the
performance of and performs preventative and corrective
maintenance; and creates work orders.
* Maintains records: conducts research; compiles data; and prepares
and submits operational and regulatory reports.
* Maintains inventory of parts, equipment and supplies: orders
parts and supplies for repairs; and recommends alterations to the
* Participates in the development and administration of budget for
assigned plant: provides specific and pertinent information to
assist in budget preparation; and monitors expenditures to ensure
compliance with approved budget.
* May manage maintenance program software.
* Assists in the selection, placement, promotion, training,
development, safety, and appraisal of assigned employees.
* Reviews permits to ensure that all sampling, testing and
inspections are completed according to schedule.
* Provide exceptional customer assistance, problem-solving, and/or
complaints by all forms of communication.
Min. Education, Licenses and Certifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
* High school diploma or GED required, supplemented by vocational
or technical training in water and wastewater treatment and
* Five (5) years of experience in wastewater or water treatment
facility operations, to include lead or supervisory experience.
* Or an equivalent combination of relevant training, education and
Licenses and/or Certificates:
* Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
* Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Wastewater Operator "A"
or "B" License for Domestic Wastewater Treatment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Considerable knowledge of the operating principles and theories
of treatment plants and equipment.
* Knowledge of current regulations, standards, practices, and
procedures used in the operation of treatment plants and
* Ability to interpret blueprints, charts, graphs, and computer
computations of laboratory analysis.
* Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions
concerning water and wastewater management.
* Ability to advise employees in diagnostics techniques utilized in
* Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and
interpreting department rules, regulations, policies, and
* Ability to plan, organize, delegate, and supervise the work of
unskilled, skilled, and technical personnel as assigned.
* Ability to assess processes and operational performance and to
make appropriate adjustments to maximize efficiencies, quality of
output and operational performance.
* Ability to make decisions recognizing established precedents and
practices and to use resourcefulness and tact in solving new
* Time-management skills, project management skills and ability to
* Skill in the use of standard office computer equipment and
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working
* Ability to provide internal/external guidance and customer
assistance via all forms of communication.
Working Conditions: Work is primarily performed indoors but is
exposed to temperamental changes (e.g., warehouses, covered loading
docks, garages, etc.) or irate customers, extreme noise, odors,
heights and/or dust.
Risk/Safety Conditions: The position requires exposure to some risk
related to physical and/or mental health and safety (e.g., exposure
to environmentally hazardous material, heavy equipment, assault and
battery, communicable disease, etc.).
Physical Activities: Walking, sitting, grasping, hearing, seeing up
close, seeing far away, talking, standing, finger movement,
repetitive motions, depth perception. Occasional lifting up to
Keywords: Charlotte County, FL, Port Charlotte , Utilities Chief Plant Operator - Wastewater, Professions , Port Charlotte, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!