Ortho Dental Assistant - Port Charlotte/Grand Bay
Company: Coast Dental Services
Location: Port Charlotte
Posted on: December 1, 2019
Ortho Dental Assistant - Port Charlotte/Grand Bay
Job DetailsJob Location FL - Port Charlotte - Port Charlotte,
FLPosition Type Dental AssistantJob Shift
- Full Time
Description Assist dentist in providing dental treatment, care and
education to patients. Must possess knowledge and skill of clinical
procedures, processes and dental administrative functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome and escort patient from reception area and to and from
the treatment areas. Schedule appointments and assist in
appointment confirmation calls.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of
- Recognize signs of a dental emergency, and insure proper and
timely response and notification to patient, staff, and emergency
medical personnel when necessary.
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Make preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal
registrations for mounting study casts.
- Administer a topical anesthetic in any form except aerosol and
administer topical fluoride.
- Select and pre-size orthodontic bands and arch wires prescribed
by the dentist.
- Remove and re-cement properly contoured and fitting loose bands
that are not permanently attached to any appliance
- Assist orthodontist with orthodontic treatment in accordance
with the delegable duties allowable by state.
- Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by Dentist.
- Sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays,
prepare materials and assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Learn and comply with state and Federal OSHA laws, infection
control, safety standards in the dental office and operatory,
including but not limited to: wearing personal protective (PPE)
barriers such as gloves, scrubs, and eye wear; disinfecting and
sterilizing instruments and treatment areas; and disposing properly
of contaminated or bio-hazardous waste/materials.
- Learn and comply with Coast Dental's administrative
- Insure review and completion of documentation, including but
not limited to: accurate and current medical history, medical
alerts, and signed Consent forms.
- Document/chart all dental procedures performed during each
patient visit according to dentist's instructions and legal
- Effectively provide dental education and information to insure
patient awareness of dental health and continuing treatment.
- Effectively present to patient the dental treatment plan and
proposed plan for continuing treatments in professional and
- Communicate with the patient all treatment to be rendered and
financial obligation prior to starting procedure to avoid patient
conflict. Understand and explain insurance benefits and financial
options to patients in non-clinical terms.
- Ensure treatment rooms are appropriately equipped and stocked
with inventory and re-order when necessary.
- Notify Office Manager of equipment trouble/need for a trouble
ticket or general safety concerns.
- Understand and agree to maintain production standards.
- Effectively utilize and maintain a system of contact for
- Maintain professional working environment within office
- Attend and participate in morning huddles, chart reviews, and
regular office meetings.
- Adhere to OSHA compliant uniform attire and basic personal
hygiene standards per Company policy.
- Attend continuing education and training seminars as
- Understand and abide by HIPAA regulations and maintain
- Follow policies listed in the employee manual to ensure
- Maintain a constant line of communication with the Office
Manager to establish monetary goals and insurance concerns.
- Assist in the office cleaning, trash disposal and trouble
ticket submission to correct any office maintenance issues.
Qualifications Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent customer services skills and verbal communication
skills. Ability to read, write, speak and understand
- Ability to effectively present information one-on-one with
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
details written or verbally instructed.
- Basic computer knowledge and experience with dental management
software experience. EagleSoft experience is preferred.
- Ability to work in fast paced, patient-focused environment.
Qualifications (Experience, Education, Licensure,
- 2 - 5 years dental assisting experience required.
- Previous orthodontic dental assisting experience preferred.
- Active Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA)
certification, or a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) license or
Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certificate obtained prior to May
2009, according to state guidelines and limitations.
- Radiography licensure.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and cardiopulmonary
resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
- Ortho Patient Care Coordinators work in a well-lit, clean
environment. Their work area is usually near the dental chair so
that they can arrange instruments, materials, and medication and
hand them to the dentist when needed.
- Ortho Patient Care Coordinators must wear gloves, masks,
eyewear, and protective clothing to protect themselves and their
patients from infectious diseases.
- Ortho Patient Care Coordinators also follow safety procedures
to minimize the risks associated with the use of x-ray machines and
Keywords: Coast Dental Services, Port Charlotte , Ortho Dental Assistant - Port Charlotte/Grand Bay, Healthcare , Port Charlotte, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!